A Charity Fundraiser: Geneva to Monte Carlo Cycling Challenge
I am raising money for Sentebale by cycling from Geneva to Monte Carlo. From 5th – 9th September, I will be joining a group of brave (foolish?) souls to cycle across the Alps, covering some of the (in)famous stages of the Tour de France. My primary charitable cause is children. As I have had ties to the fine jewellery and diamond industries for most of my adult life, I want to help children in an African diamond producing country.
Sentebale help orphans and vulnerable children in Lesotho. Lesotho’s annual diamond output is only 2% of global production, but their diamonds are of the highest quality anywhere. However, the tiny, landlocked kingdom that gives us the most beautiful diamonds is afflicted by the third highest HIV/AIDS infection rate in the world, with nearly 1/3 of the population infected. It is also one of the poorest countries where life expectancy has dropped to 34 years. As you can easily imagine, the negative impact on children is enormous, and Sentebale has a lot of work cut out for them. They need your support.
The G2MC Cycling Challenge covers a distance of more than 500 km (310 miles) over 4 ½ days, that is, an average of 110 km per day, which is not all that much purely in terms of distance. However, the cumulative ascent will exceed 11,000 m (36,000 feet), guaranteeing a very high my-pain-for-your-sterling ratio, making it an excellent value for money, in addition to supporting a very worthy cause.
For you cycling geeks, we are covering some of the most famous climbs in the Tour de France, including Col du Télégraphe, Col du Galibier, Col d’Izoard and Col de la Bonette, encompassing 3 climbs that are ‘hors catégorie’ (beyond classification) and the highest paved pass in Europe. Even the last half day, into Monte Carlo, has some world class climbs although I was initially led to believe that it was going to be all downhill on Day 5… I have a suspicion that the 4 1/2 days will be filled with expletives.
The various available methods to sponsor me are listed below. Donations will be quickly processed and passed to Sentebale. I really appreciate all your support and thank you for any donations.
Preferred ways to donate:
- My fundraising page at Just Giving.
- My fundraising page at Virgin Money Giving.
Alternative ways to donate:
- Through Paypal, by clicking here. Please enter ‘Chikashi’ in the notes / remark field so that Sentebale can track it as being part of this fundraising campaign.
- Bank transfer to Sentebale’s account.
Account No: 51417398
Sort Code: 40-05-50
IBAN: GB60 SMCO 4005 5051 4173 98
BIC/Swift Code: SMCOGB2P
- Cheque by post, payable to Sentebale. Please also write ‘Chikashi’ in the available space on the face of the cheque so that Sentebale can track it as being part of this fundraising campaign, and post it to:
London SW1A 1LP
- Cash. If you prefer to give cash, then I am happy to accept it by hand delivery. I will in turn give the money to Sentebale at one go after I return from the ride. Please do NOT post cash in the mail.