Drivetrain for Chianti
After gathering the parts, installing and tinkering with the setting, I am finally done with the drivetrain for the Motobécane. There is something ironic about initially having converted the geared Motobécane to a single speed / fixed gear bike and then converting it back to a geared bike in preparation for a single event. But that is all part of the fun.
I found a 41T chainring for my 144bcd cranks meant for track. In order to get a usable chainline, I installed the chainring on the reverse of the spider.
I found that the French even made the lever boss on the downtube with threading that is different from the rest of the world. Unbelievable. I had it re-tapped to accommodate an Italian shift lever.
I was relieved that old derailleurs are so much simpler than modern ones. Otherwise, a trip to the LBS would have been in order.
I dusted off the old rear wheel. I repacked the hub, changed the freewheel and had the LBS true the wheel. The steel Rigida rim weighs a tonne, but I have to say, it is a looker in chrome.
Two weeks until l’Eroica… Now, if I can get my knee sorted, then I will have the whole package in order.